Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Perils of Interviewing


As I reported earlier on this award-winning blog, I did a radio interview with Las Vegas's very own Papa Joe a couple of weeks ago. The show's producer was very nice to send me along my audio from the segment.

I have not opened yet, mostly because I fear for what I hear. And the same dread follows me when I interview folks for stories.

Part of doing Q&As and interviews is using a tape recorder, which is a godsend to me. I'm huge on accuracy, so it's nice to have solid proof instead of checking back with someone eight million times. The one downside is playing the interview back and noticing that my voice--at least to my own ears--sounds like every ass-kissing honors student you ever wanted to punch in the mouth. And do I really stammer and pause that much? I sound like David Schwimmer during the first season of Friends.

I suppose everyone hates the sound of their own voice. I'm curious if guys who make a living using their voice, like Bob Shepherd of the Yankees or Johnny Gilbert at Jeopardy! feel the same way. (Sarah Vowell has referred to this.) Does anyone know? Do we even have radio announcers as readers?

Oh, as for the award that I won, that would be the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for blogging. So, what if it's totally made up. It's still an award

No comments: