Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Only Venn Diagram You'll Ever Need


A long time ago, my friend Barry Ferguson and I had one in a series of extremely meaningful conversations about movies. Maybe meaningful isn't the right word. Perhaps frightening or juvenile would be more appropriate.

Anyway, we were about to see Naomi Watts in "21 Grams," when Barry said that her hotness played a bigger role than her talent. I disagreed thoroughly, saying that her work in "Mulholland Drive" proved otherwise. For the next 25 minutes, we threw out names to see if anyone was an in-between: Halle Berry, Julianne Moore, etc. On and on it went.

It always drove me nuts that there was no way to measure this, but then (about a month ago) it hit me like a thunderbolt: The Venn Diagram.

Think about it: You have one circle featuring actresses whose attribute is their looks (basically anyone featured regularly in "Maxim") and actresses whose attribute is acting chops. Where those cirlces intercept is that rare breed.

So, who's on my intersect...Well, here are five (off the cuff) who make the cut.

1.) Kate Winslet
2.) Naomi Watts
3.) Laura Linney
4.) Anne Hathaway
5.) Amy Adams

What's cool about this is that it also prevents you from being chewed out by a spouse/girlfriend. Tell your girlfriend that you think Megan Fox is hot, and the best case scenario is that you're deemed unoriginal. But pull out Anne Hathaway, citing examples of her layered work in "Brokeback Mountain" and "Rachel Getting Married," and you sound like a staff writer at "Film Comment."

I could be onto something, methinks.

1 comment:

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

Kate Winslet and Laura Linney are my two favs so I'd like to think that maybe I am on to something as well.