Thursday, July 9, 2009

We Get Letters...


Since my epic interview with her last year for ICON, Jancee Dunn and I have become friendly. My dream is to form my own version of The Algonquin Roundtable, so it's nice to know that the Dorothy Parker role may be filled. I'm still looking for a Harpo and a Benchley, so if you know anyone...

Anyway, my girlfriend loved Jancee's debut novel, Don't You Forget About Me, and expressed an interest in reading more. Being the big so-and-so I am, I asked Jancee if she wouldn't mind autographing a copy of But Enough About Me (a former book of the month) for the girlfriend's birthday. She enthusiastically agreed, and I mailed the book.

With the book, I sent a letter telling a little bit about my girlfriend and a check. Jancee refused money for mailing, so in the letter I wrote that she should use the check to buy her new daughter, Sylvie (who's adorable), something nice. I have no idea what Brooklyn-based parents buy their kids, and I wasn't about to guess.

True to her word, Jancee wrote a loving inscription to the girlfriend. But she returned my check, which included this note:

Pete! Keep the stinkin' check--seriously! Thanks for getting the book!

With that in mind, Jancee has a new collection of essays, Why is My Mother Getting a Tattoo? available now. Visit http://www.janceedunn.com/ for more info.

I'm guessing it's OK to pay for those, but you should probably check with her.

No comments: