Thursday, July 9, 2009

July's Book of the Month

I love books. They're fun, educational, and they keep libraries in business. Am I the only one who thinks libraries are the best? At mine, the DVD collection is absolutely first-rate and I can get pretty much any book I want, all for minimal cost.

Still don't think libraries are cool. Well, you know who thinks they are? The Fonz! Zac Efron has nothing on Henry Winkler! Whose jacket is in The Smithsonian?

You may find it egregious that I'm only now providing dap for William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade, but I just got around to reading it. I'm glad I did. What a phenomenal read--funny, smart, and brutally honest.

Goldman, in case you forgot, is one of the most acclaimed screenwriters in history, the brains behind All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, Misery, and The Princess Bride. He's also a novelist--please, please read The Princess Bride if you get a chance--and co-wrote one of the best sports books ever, Wait Till Next Year.

To me, Adventures is as essential as the yellow pages. Screenwriters will learn how to write from a master. Critics will gain a fresh perspective of how to watch a movie. Everyone else will get stories and anecdotes from a Hollywood veteran who's not only a great storyteller, but who doesn't have an ounce of pretension.

Really, I can't tell you how much I loved this book. Get it immediately from your library. Be sure to say hi to the Fonz while you're there.

No comments: