Monday, May 12, 2008

You Make the Call (Ladies' Edition)


I'm working on a summer blockbuster kick-off column for Primetime A&E, which meant a trip to see Patrick Dempsey's Made of Honor. This made me one of 15 heterosexual males in the world who paid to see it without being dragged by his girlfriend/wife or losing a bet.


I'll be accepting an award for this honor at the Piscataway Hilton on June 15. I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping you'll all attend.


The movie has a load of problems, the first of which is that it's a rock-stupid compromise of a romantic comedy. Girls get another movie about a wedding, loads of beefcake Dempsey (shirtless), and romantic misunderstandings. But hey, guys, there's stuff for you if you can endure this awful rip off of My Best Friend's Wedding. You get Dempsey as a tomcat who lives in an awesome NYC apartment and who plays basketball with his buddies. Plus, he gets to see Michelle Monaghan and Busy Phillips in lingerie, which brings me to an issue that has been bothering me for days.


In the movie, Dempsey and Monaghan play best friends, Tom and Hannah. She's getting married, but he loves her. (The reason for his feelings: Screenwriters' convenience.) Hannah appoints Tom as her maid of honor, which he accepts so he can ruin the wedding from within. So, Tom does all the typical maid of honor stuff, which includes watching her try on lingerie.


Uh-huh. "Who's a better judge than you," Hannah explains to Tom.


I don't buy this for a second. I have many female friends, and I doubt any of them would consult me on lingerie matters. I, for one, prefer that they wouldn't. That's what girlfriends and husbands are for. Also, would any girl feel comfortable doing this in front of a guy? Wouldn't 'a move like that possibly jeopardize the friendship?


So, any female readers out there, please enlighten me. Is this scene based in any kind of reality?



No comments: