Friday, May 30, 2008

New York City


It's been a slow week on the movie-watching front. No new reviews to post, no kick-ass recommendations. I'm also in the middle of a few book reviews, an article, and a possible author interview.


(I'm not going to reveal the idenity of the author; let's just say that her last book will featured next month. No One Belongs Here More than You by Miranda July was the first, in case you forgot. I want to recommend a book a month. It'll be just like Oprah, only without the free cars or mass adulation.)


Part of the reason for the slowness has been that I started a cool long-term editing job in New York City. Why am I stoked? Here are several reasons:


1.) First, the company that I work for is very casual, and the group of people I work for is very friendly, very easygoing. I can wear jeans for work! No one is asking me to sort their mail or take down lunch orders! People aren't randomly snapping at me!


2.) I work right by Union Square, which is a pretty happening place. Quite a big Whole Foods you have there, Big Apple!


3.) I am near a ton of bookstores (the Strand, two Barnes & Nobles, a used bookstore), plus the company I work for has access to free books. This is not going to end well, like giving Pacman Jones a free pass to Crazy Horse.


4.) Believe it or not, I've never worked in New York City, and there's something strangely empowering about navigating my way around and not becoming a ball of tears. My Dad said it would give me a new perspective; younger brother said my social life would improve immeasurably; my Mom offered survival tips. She's the best.


5.) Jim Gaffigan once commented that every time he was on the NYC subway he met his future wife. Good Lord, that's an understatement. It's like I'm in the middle of a Sinatra love song every time I get off the bus.


6.) Getting paid a living wage is awesome.


More movie-related stuff to come. I promise...


##############################################################


Before I forget, I must provide a link that I promised my backroom cohorts at Barnes & Noble in North Brunswick.


Elvis, here's full proof as to why The Punisher was awful:



Frank, not all musicals are awful:

No comments: