Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Trip to Florida? How cliched! And necessary!


Sorry for the delay, folks. I'm still recovering from about 10 days on the road (a restful sojourn to Florida), three days crammed with work and errands, and then Memorial Day (otherwise known as the Meat Lovers' holiday).

I spent five days basically relaxing my brain. Then the girlfriend and I drove back from Florida, returning exhausted on late afternoon last Tuesday . On Wednesday, I had to get my ass back into gear, something I was not ready to do. It's like jumping right into an ice cold lake, only the shock takes like three days to wear off. Welcome to the world of taking a vacation as an adult.

Somehow, I'll summon my pioneer spirit and get back into the swing of things...Eventually.

So, why did we go to Florida? Well, first, it was cheap. My mother's side of the family has a condo in Melbourne, Florida. Second, I desperately needed some time off, but my girlfriend was going to start like popping and fizzing like a Fembot if she didn't recharge. Here's a look at her schedule since I met her, last July.

  • Pursue Ph.D. (readings, classes, etc.)
  • Teach full slate of classes at three colleges
  • Prepare and perform a recital
  • Work on dissertation, including presenting it
  • Teach private students
  • Perform an array of maid of honor duties for future sister-in-law
  • Eat and sleep (if time allowed)
Note: The funny part is at one point she actually was thinking about becoming a personal trainer, studying during the Christmas break...Me, I was trying to figure out if polishing off a tray of holiday cookies counted as a meal.

Anyway, it was a lovely time. And I managed to see a couple of movies, while I was there. (Of course, I did.) Big surprise: Star Trek is great. And I finally caught The Gambler on DVD. It's an old James Caan movie that sounded great, but was only ordinary. Honestly, Rounders was better--less pretentious, better written, etc.

So, what's in store for the next several weeks?

  • The Summer Blockbuster Film Round-Up (kick off edition)
  • An interview with David Grann, author of The Lost City of Z
  • A review of Away We Go
  • A behind-the-scenes look at freelancing
  • Book of the Month(s)
  • More stupidity, hijinks, and tomfoolery
  • Good news as it comes in

Thanks for reading...Keep fighting the good fight, y'all.

No comments: