Friday, June 28, 2013

Finding Gold in a River of Crap

Will French Stewart's star ever stop rising?
I'm woefully behind on posting my reviews for The Weekender, probably because the last few movies have been so dreadful and I don't want to relive the memories.

But, here are links to The Hangover Part III (page 23), The Internship (page 16), and World War Z.

Yup, another string of mainstream duds. Without getting into too much gory detail, the streak will continue with The Lone Ranger. So that means I haven't reviewed a halfway decent multiplex offering since G.I. Joe: Retaliation. That was in April. Wow.

Believe it or not, this is not the longest lull I've suffered. For a few years, my college friend Marie was a frequent movie partner. From like 1999 to 2002, the two of us saw pretty much nothing but shitty movies: Love Stinks, Eye of the Beholder, Moonlight Mile. There was a 95 percent chance if the two of us saw a movie, it wouldn't be certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes.

These things happen from time to time. You see great movies. You see terrible movies. You see movies. But the nice part is that they can bring you back to a snippet of time. Just typing in those long-ago titles reminds me of the good times Marie and I--who are still friends--had.

A movie title can take you back to who you were and how far you've come. It's a pretty cool measurement of time.

No comments: