Monday, April 29, 2013

"I Spit on Your Grave" as a Writing Lesson



I'm working on a "bad movie" column for Film Racket. The debut was supposed to cover I Spit on Your Grave, but it didn't make the cut. No big deal. It happens, especially when you're trying to find the appropriate tone. Still, I did not want to waste the work, so here you go.

Yes, the column is still going to happen, but in a better format that will take advantage of my strengths. (Look for it soon.) This version, admittedly, is a little flat. It's not as funny or as observant as my best stuff. There's no hum, and what's weird is that I knew it when I was writing it. Write for as long as I have, and you know when you get good wood. I got the bat on the ball, but I barely got it into the outfield.

The lesson: Never forgot about heart and soul when writing. If you're not feeling excitement, neither will anyone else.

Update (May 1, 2013): Much to my surprise, the piece did run on Film Racket. You can read it here. Still going with the new format. I'll let you know if anything changes.

No comments: