Friday, July 6, 2012

Book of the Month: July 2012

I love books. They're fun, educational, and they give thrift stores a touch of class. 

It's come to my attention that I haven't posted a book of the month in forever. There are several reasons for this: A lack of time. Professional obligations. And the addition of roughly 800 channels to our cable package, which means that I'm watching the NFL Network's "Top 10" at a damaging rate.

So as a short cut, here's a list of the five best books I've read this half-year: either as a grubby professional or in my free time. These are in no particular order.

1.) Father's Day by Buzz Bissinger. For those who only know Bissinger as Twitter's resident crank, oh are you missing out. A heartbreaking, poignant memoir about the relationship with his son, Zach, who has trace brain damage. The most honest book about fathers and sons I've ever read--and one of the best.

2.) This Love is Not for Cowards by Robert Andrew Powell. I compared Powell's work to Susan Orlean's in my review for BookPage. I assure you that it was not hyperbole.

3.) Dream Team by Jack McCallum. The best basketball writer of my generation covers the best team of my generation.

4.) The Fish That Ate the Whale by Rich Cohen. You'll gain a new respect for good, old-fashioned business hustle. "You're fucking fired! Do you understand that?"

5.) The One: The Life and Music of James Brown by R.J. Smith. It's about James Brown, one of my all-time favorites, but Smith breaks down what made the man so special ("Teeth and hair!"). And he details his love of smack and asses.

Oh, and because this is a movie blog, a quickie halftime report of the best and worst cinematically.

BEST: Moonrise Kingdom, Monsieur Lazhar, Take This Waltz, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Jeff, Who Lives at Home,  21 Jump Street, The Avengers, The Hunger Games, The Raid: Redemption, Magic Mike, Jiro Dreams of Sushi    

WORST: American Reunion, Rock of Ages, The Lucky One, What to Expect When You're Expecting, The Magic of Belle Isle, John Carter, Meeting Evil  

Until later, read in peace. 

No comments: