Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Important Realization


I watched the last 10 minutes or so of "Can't Hardly Wait" the other day, one of those movies that teeters between cult classic and feat of endurance depending on whom you ask.

Now, I'm not a giant fan of the movie, but I could never quite put my finger on why that was the case...Until now.

Watch Ethan Embry. He's jittery and bug-eyed and resembles a well-fed junkie. There's on way that any girl--especially an untouchable like Jennifer Love Hewitt-- would ever give this guy the time of a day. In that one scene, the desperation is rolling off him in waves.

It took me a while to learn this, but eagerness does not win girls over. Confidence does, and that trait is sorely missing in Embry's performance. Love Hewitt shouldn't be giving Embry her heart, but a roll of the eyes and, possibly, a restraining order.

Case closed.

No comments: