Saturday, February 6, 2010

What Oscar Voters Missed


So, the Academy Award nominations were announced last Tuesday, much to my ever-loving chagrin. I'm not going to get into a tizzy over the movies that shouldn't be honored, or how remarkably stupid the expanded best picture category is.

What I'm going to do is list some films and people that were overlooked in certain categories. I think that'll make things a lot, lot easier for my sanity.

  • Best Supporting Actor: Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles (pictured) was mesmerizing, and I find it unbelievable that he didn't crack this category. (Peter Capaldi in In the Loop or Zachary Quinto in Star Trek would have been super, too.) Here's the problem: Christopher Plummer wasn't anything close to Oscar-worthy in The Last Station. Here's the second problem: No one saw Me and Orson Welles. It vanished after December.
  • Best Supporting Actress: Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air? Um, not good. Don't even get me started on Mo'Nique in Precious. I would have been happy seeing Samantha Morton in The Messenger or Alycia Delmore in Humpday.
  • Best Actress: Emily Blunt in The Young Victoria. The nomination should have been her coronation, not Sandra Bullock's. Another good choice: Nicole Beharie in American Violet. (See Kurt, we agree on stuff!)
  • Best Actor: Tobey Maguire's haunting work in Brothers was the best he's done in years, and was a splendid reminder that he was once considered a young talent to watch. My guess is Jeremey Renner's fine performance in The Hurt Locker pushed Maguire aside. Too bad. Other possibilities: Viggo Mortensen in The Road and Patton Oswalt in Big Fan.
  • Best Picture: I know that the Academy Awards expanded this list to incorporate more variety, but here's my quibble. For the "family film" slot, why choose The Blind Side? Julie & Julia was so much better while being made for the same demographic. It's one of my favorite movies of the year, and I'm not for whom that movie was made....And why put Up as a sacrifical lamb? If the voters had included Adventureland or Humpday or Sin Nombre, wouldn't that have meant more to those filmmakers? Up has made 80 bajillion dollars. Pixar is already a household name. This move doesn't help Pixar profile-wise or expose moviegoers to something they may have missed that's worth their time.
P.S.--Hey, Razzies, where were these?

1.) The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond
2.) Deadgirl
3.) The Answer Man
4.) Pink Panther 2
5.) The Limits of Control
6.) Gigantic
7.) Alexander the Last
8.) The Time Traveler's Wife
9.) The International

No comments: