Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Dennis Quaid and Bonnie Raitt

No new reviews yet--next week kicks off an ass-kicking week of screenings galore--and my review of Animal House for Filmcritic.com has not posted yet. But that'll be in due time.

So, have you heard about this YouTube? It's pretty damn addictive. I'm working a lot from home these days, so about two times a week I'm surfing for nuggets on YouTube while the economy crumbles and my competition on the job market becomes more and more like Lord of the Flies. I like to look for stand up routines and music videos mostly, and to see what neat kitten videos are up! Hang in there, baby, indeed.

Anyway, I've been looking for the video to Bonnie Raitt's "Thing Called Love" for a while, and I found it. Two encouraging things: First, the song holds up remarkably well. Second, I have another reason to love Dennis Quaid, who's in the video. He's got a goofy smile on his face, is wearing a hideous pair of cowboy boots, yet he's so charismatic. It's impossible not to love this guy.

Oddly enough, this video captures his movie star qualities better than most of his early movies. He's had an odd, yet rewarding career. Quaid was this matinee idol who never took off in the 80s and 90s. Then around 2000 or so, he reinvented himself as a first-rate supporting actor and starring actor in smaller stuff.

I'll be curious to see where he is in 10 years. Maybe he'll be in another music video. Rhianna would be a good choice, or maybe Fall Out Boy. Here's hoping.

And here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTjaPYkZNjo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this video forever but unfortunately it's been taken down from youtube. There's a BR video collection(on VHS) that's available that I guess I'll have to buy. Hope the VCR still works.

One minor correction. Those aren't cowboy boots he's wearing. They're the black and white shoes that he wears through most of "Great Balls of Fire." Notice he also has the Sun Records tee on in the video. I remember the strangest things.

Anonymous said...

Ah, found it again.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bonnie-raitt-thing-called-love/3078124337

Anonymous said...

I remember reading somewhere that Quaid was on a set doing some filming for "Great Balls of Fire" and he walked in on Bonnie doing her video on another set. She asked him to step in as her boyfriend in the video. It wasn't planned, it just worked out